This afternoon, at approximately 5:04 pm, Miss M announced that she intends to run away from home.
I’m sure that those of you who know her best cannot believe that it took six years, three months, two weeks and two days to reach this conclusion.
She was in a fit of pique because:
a) AM got new sneakers and she did not! (The fact that he had outgrown his sneakers last February and hers still fit is completely irrelevant.)
b) While at the park across from the shoe store I had to remind her to keep various behaviors in check approximately 400 times. Finally, she hurt AM for no reason, so I took away her chance at a treat she had been given as she left school today. (Of course! This is the Israeli way! Chocolate doodads just for showing up!)
So anyway, as she buckled herself into her booster seat she trumpeted, “I AM GOING TO RUN AWAY FROM HOME!”
I wasn’t sure how to respond, so I just said, “Oh?”
But, being Miss M, she began to spin an elaborate plan. It involves:
1) sleeping at my mother-in-law’s
2) taking the bus to and from Jerusalem every day, so as not to miss school
3) leaving tomorrow afternoon, after her art class (naturally)
4) taking her brother with her (see, friends again!)
5) writing each other letters (her and me) because we miss each other
6) staying for three or four or five days (“Oh, I think you should stay for Shabbat,” I piped up.)
So for the rest of the evening I heard a lot between the two of them about having to pack for Savta’s house. I hope Savta is up for some, um, interesting visitors.